Week Fourteen: The Future of Comics

With the last blog post of the semester and talking about the future of comics, I choose to read "Stand
Still, Stay Silent" - a webcomic





Drawn to the premise from the get-go, I love the setting of a post apocalyptic story of a boy living the Icelandic countries of Iceland, Sweden, ect. With a disease running rampage across the country and the goverment scrambling to find the source of it, I was hooked with the impending danger while being drawn to the heart of the story about friendship ad exploration. I absolutely enjoyed the style of the comic through and through. It was a pleasant blending of western and Asian styles of drawing to illustrate the book. Sepia tones were used to shade and add an atmospheric perspective to the panels which helped further place me into the setting. Another aspect of the presentation I really enjoyed was the variation of the panels! No two pages were alike and you could tell the artist had a lot of fun composing these shots and did not let the canvas depict what to show. The narrative itself was progressive and moved at a decent pace but was slow at times. The character motivations were not forced and felt genuine, which could be partly due to the author putting themselves.
















Lastly, I would like to discuss the future of comics and where I could go. I definitely feel comics is going to be around for a very long time, similar to film. Comic's presents itself as a visual storybook, something a novel can't do. Comics can be anything you want it to be, dark, humorous, fantastical - there is so much out there, you are bound to find something that interest you. The distribution of comics is also changing for the better as there are more ways to share one's own comics as with the ever changing technology, we now have the web and web comics are a thing. With the countless new devices we own, digital comics also are on the rise. Digital comics also has the benefit to allow difference sense to be engaged with some including music or even animation clips within the file. These two examples are merely another way to distribute comics and by no means are a way to replace the tangible wonder of owning a comic and being able to physically flip the pages to reveal the next "wow" moment of the story. I myself prefer the tangible book I can proudly display and not have to worry about my device having enough memory or even connecting to the internet - It's right in front of you, flip the pages.

I have a further appreciation of comics after taking this class and cannot wait to see where the knowledge I've picked up influences my art. I also found myself pairing what I learnt in a previous class, David's World building class and applying those concepts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Seven: Maus Response

Week Five: Eisner and Thompson