Week Ten: Manga & Japanese comic's traditions



This week we talked about Manga and Japanese comics and being a fan of animation and anime, I was looking forward to it. Growing up in Asia, I was fortunate enough be exposed to a wide variety of Manga.  I chose to read Ranma 1/2 due to hearing that title prior to coming to school. Off the bat, I loved every bit of the style. The style was complimentary of the culture which was deep rooted in - everything from the architecture to the use of what buildings were sitting next to each other was something I was pleased by. The style is also similar to anime like Myazaki so it was refreshing to see a familiar style yet presented differently. Another thing I noticed was the choice to caricature a lot of the facial features like a smile or a laugh to extremes - I am guessing to sell the clarity of the emotion.  Lastly, like last week the color choice was spot on and greatly admire people/artist that can pull an emotion out of audiences with the use of just color. 

Overall I had a great week looking through all these comics and cant wait to spend more time getting influenced by them 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Seven: Maus Response

Week Five: Eisner and Thompson

Week Fourteen: The Future of Comics