Week Thirteen: Reconsidering the Superhero



 This week I chose to read Black Panther, I had to, being a diehard Marvel fan and off a high with the recent movie that came out last year. Growing up I had never read a stand alone Black Panther story and only really saw him appearing as cameos or team ups but I knew off him. Nevertheless I love reading a stand alone comic of his and see what adventures he would embark on.


I read a couple of the first few issues and off the bat, the struggle of being a ruler to his people of Wakanda and being a global superhero - defending the well being of the world was very interesting. The contrast of roles and responsibilities is such a internal conflict that the writers were able to nail perfectly in the comics and felt where the movie lacked. Black Panther is so much more than a super hero, where other hero's like Thor needs to save the world, Black Panther is more dimensional in his roles and responsibilities. The mechanics and world building also was really cool to see what a futuristic world could be, visualized BUT still have the wonder and magic of the ancestral spirits and unique customs of Africa. I also found it interesting on how the comic translated to the film and how a lot of the technology was interpreted to the big screen - such as the Vibranium metal technology.

The style of the comics was pretty standard - Marvel styled characters with great line work and dynamic shots, supported by emotional beats. I enjoyed these week's reading as an avid Marvel fan, any chance I can get to revisit some favorite characters, I'm all in for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Seven: Maus Response

Week Five: Eisner and Thompson

Week Fourteen: The Future of Comics