Week Nine: A wide world of comics





This week, I chose to read Blueberry by Moebius. I was drawn to this particular reading due Moebius's collaboration with Myazaki - which I am a huge fan of. Additionally it would be interesting to see if any of the artist's ideas and styles could have possibly influenced one another's work and I was curious to see if I could find those. With my initial read of Blueberry, it was very evident that the spaghetti-western genre was a major influence in this. The classic cowboy and western setting is a popular one. Where it differs however is in its narrative, the main character acts and makes decisions while grappling with his personality and morals throughout the story.

The art style in Blueberry is what you can come to expect from a typical comic book, blacks, whites, a few shades of grey. High contrast for dramatic scenes and lots of interesting compositions. The details are done very well - down to the horses hair! Lastly I love the use of colors and Moebius did a good job balancing the mood of each scene with the color temperature used. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Seven: Maus Response

Week Five: Eisner and Thompson

Week Fourteen: The Future of Comics